THIS SITE IS DEDICATED TO PROVIDING INFORMATION GATHERED AND PRESERVED ABOUT THE GREAT HISTORY SURROUNDING THE TEXTILE BUSINESS OF THE CITY OF KANNAPOLIS NORTH CAROLINA.
KANNAPOLIS, NORTH CAROLINA:
In 1906 J.W. Cannon purchased the land that later became Kannapolis, and acquired a total of 1008 acres in Cabarrus and Rowan Counties. Approximately 808 of those acres of farmland, purchased along the historic wagon road between Salisbury and Charlotte, became the location of the new textile mill, Cannon Manufacturing. Cannon Manufacturing began production in 1908. In 1914 Cannon Manufacturing became known as the world’s largest producer of sheets and towels. Shortly after, Mr. Cannon opened plants in Rowan County, Concord and in South Carolina totaling 20,000 workers. Mill founder J.W. Cannon’s youngest son, Charles A. Cannon, consolidated all the separate mills into the giant Cannon Mills Company in 1928.